Vacation is over...back to the daily grind that is oh so looked highly upon
I've had a great couple weeks off. My vacation with my dad ended up being about a week shorter than planned so I didn't get much time to relax (especially since my dad NEVER calms down) but we saw lots of beautiful Canadian sights. I now know where I'd like to go and spend some quality time with a quality friend or two.
My first week of vacation briefly (as I've been putting together a special Summer 2005 Vacation website...yes I'm a nerd with a new skill) is as follows:
- My dad and I drive out to Victoria and spend a couple days visiting relatives and friends.
- We head up to Campbell River to see my mom for a couple days.
- We head over to Whistler and drive around stopping in a couple places to try and grasp the gorgeous views.
- On to Peachland, Summerland, Penticton, and Naramata we go to do a little winery tour. The Ironman race was on in Penticton and although it cut into our winery tour by about an hour (we had to try and cross it in a car in order to get to Naramata), we got to see the leading guy. No matter what place though, they all impressed me with their stamina and ambition to do such a crazy marathon. The wineries were awesome, the drive and the view better, and the wine was, well, intoxicating.
- Then back to Calgary we went.
I have a slideshow of the pictures from the drive on the summer website that's near completion. Warning though, there's not too many that relate to the stories from
the drive. For now, here's my favourite from the trip.
Since then, I've just been relaxing and hanging out with friends every day. It's actually been a crazy, fun filled, action packed, week. Of course, I had absolutely NO time to clean and organize prior to going back to the daily grind. Funny how that happens.
Briefly (again):
Hi Fi Club for a local band concert (I have actually seen a lot of local shows this summer and they've all been good).
The usual Thursday night hang out at BP's.
Friday at Stanley park followed by Fiasco (spectacular Gelato) and Le Chien Chaud (gourmet hot dogs and yes, in that order).
Saturday Hot Tub Party.
Sunday was the Pearl Jam concert, the perfect way to wrap up vacation and the long weekend. Ten of us (the usual crew) went down to the dome for what turned out to be a truly amazing show. Awesome, awesome. 
The band gave it their all and so did the crowd. It made for an amazing atmosphere and a brilliant, long show. This morning I downloaded the whole concert seeing as I can brag that I was one of the 17,500 back up singers. Here's a couple pics from the concert, the one of Eddie was part of the concert download. And sorry to say, I didn't get one of the many tambourines that Ed threw into the crowd...so sad. Oh and I bought this great hoodie (bunny hug for those of you from SASKATCHEWAN). I'll have to take a picture of it.
There is also this great review of the concert at: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=139957
edwouldgo wrote:
"Before we get to the music, we have to talk about the crowd. Wow. Having been to nearly every rock show in town for the last 10 years, I can say without hesitation that last night's crowd was AMAZING. Loud, energetic, and courteous! They were as in to Alone, Hard to Imagine and Oceans as they were Daughter, Evenflow and Alive.
Had 3rd row seats courtesy 10 club. Nice. Mike M's side. Oceans as an opener blew me away. Incredible. Never thought I'd see Oceans, Alone, Hard to Imagine, Sleight of Hand and Whipping in the same set EVER! Setlist speaks for itself. I think they were making sure the crowd they haven't seen for 12 years saw what they had missed.
Couple quick notes:
- Band came out an looked shy but intense. The crowd's energy picked them up.
- Ed referenced the ongoing crisis in New Orleans as being difficult for the band as they had recorded there, leading to a song that was recorded there, Red Mosquito
- Ed said after the encore break that the crowd was, "Makin' it awful hard for guys to be depressed!"
- Ed again referenced their surprise at the energy "out there" for the band.
- As the show progressed, the band looked so into it, and really, really happy to be there. Ed changed the lyrics in Yellow Ledbetter to, "... to be honest, I would love to stayyyy..." after the crowd gave him an obvious response before he could sing the first "I don't wanna stay".
- During RITFW and YL, Ed and the band kind of stood there in amazement of the crowd, with Ed kinda leaning back and smiling, with the rest of the band grinning like madmen!!
- Some woman's 100th show down in the first row. Each member of the band gave her a pick personally, as well as the setlist. Ed referenced it in the second encore, saying, "There's a woman down front who's at her 100th show. I don't think she wanted to show-off, but seeing as I've only been to 101, that's pretty good." Big smiles from the band.
- But highlight of the night? Goes to Ed double fisting his wine AND Heineken near the end of the show.
- Throughout the last 10 songs the band touched their hearts numerous times, as if to say, "Thanks."
No, no! Thank YOU.
Tons of other highlights, but that's about the best. They RAWKED. Ed's voice was great, Mike LOVED grabbing the spotlight, Stone was dancing, and Jeff was moving all around the stage.
Great show."
And finally, a picture of me at the show with DeAnne's brother Reg. It was a rockin' show...you should have been there!
So yes, those are the brief highlights...just imagine how long the full version would be?! You'd STILL be reading!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home