Monday, September 26, 2005

After Thoughts

So, as usual, I've been struggling with work. I think it was two weeks ago already that this opportunity came up at work where they needed someone to go on a temporary assignment to the United Way to be a Campaign Organizer/Spokesperson. I immediately wanted it. It was just for three months but it was like a total escape and an opportunity to make contacts in the majority of the corporations and businesses around here. I was immediately shot down by my boss which pretty much destroyed me for the day. Anyways, my superior admin tried hard to help me delegate my work for the three months so that I could go but to no avail.

The thing that astounded me is that my boss was shocked that I would want to do something different. I couldn't believe it! I mean what did I get my degree for, to continue doing his grunt work? Please.

Anyways, the day after the United Way Disaster I landed myself an interview for what seemed like the perfect job. By the time interview day was there I felt totally prepared and confident that the job was mine. However, the lady whom I had hounded for the interview had already labeled me as too young. Apparently 7 years business experience was not enough. She acted like I had none. The interview quickly went downhil as I realized she wasn't listening to my experience and had already decided. She went on to ask me what I thought the job paid. She then claimed it paid $150K a year. At this point, I'm not sure if she just said that to make me feel out of my league or it was true but either way I felt like the position was totally mispresented. The job description and required skills as written definitely did not make it appear to be a VERY senior position. She went on to say that she was interviewing people with 25 years experience (when the posting had asked for 5-10 years).

The only good part was that the preparation I did for the inteview and some comments from her helped me realize that I need to fix up my resume. I think I have been so embarrased by my job that I've hardly spotlighted any of the major accomplishments I've done and I haven't focused that well on my current high level responsibilities.

Nonetheless, I started thinking this morning how easy it is for a stranger to make you feel so small. I concluded that although it is that person making the comments, it is actually you that lets them get through your skin. We so easily forget that these peole don't even know us and yet we immediately take to heart how they judge us.

I learned a lot of lessons in the last couple weeks and now that I'm out of the rough patch, I feel a lot stronger for next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home