The Journey

It felt so good today to pack up and leave the city. The first day back to the daily grind for pretty much everyone else and I was escaping to Victoria for a week. Nice.
Now usually my dad "offers" to drive me to the airport, which is sooooo nice of him except that we ALWAYS get into a huge fight/screaming match because he is always so anxious about getting there early/on time. Ridiculous. I always get there 2 hours early and I'm left staring at my shoes or something. So this time I tried to find another ride but alas no luck, so I prepped my vocal chords.
Then by chance my brother was able to take me and thank god he did. We left early but there was a huge accident on deerfoot which we just managed to notice just before we took the exit. Like, swerve kinda just before. Regardless we ran into crazy traffic and almost got into an accident along the way. However, neither of us were shitting our pants, no one was yelling (except for at other drivers), and our vocal chords were singing Sam Roberts. It was smooth sailing in the rough seas. The nicest trip ever to the airport.
I arrived with more than an hour till flight departure and even with the line ups i was still waiting to board while listening to high school students yap about everything and yet nothing at the same time.
i try not to let a lot get to me these days. I think patience helps keep your sanity in tact and so when I realized that I was on a plane packed with teenagers in Jr. High and High school, I just let it slide. It was rather amusing I suppose at how chatty those things are. They just don't shut up. It was the loudest flight I'd been on. Yap, yap, yap, blah, blah, blah, HA HA HA, nah, nah, nah. I suppose it was revenge from when I was their age yapping and annoying the crap out of someone else older. Although, I'm pretty sure I neither smiled nor spoke through out high school so Murphy was just being a bitch.
Then there's the thing about the magazine. You know. The magazine I used to work for. I knew it would be there and there it was in my seat back. I went through, saw the last of my color correction, tasted a bit of bitterness as I was color correcting some of those right before I was let go but managed to get through it. And there was my name for the last time in the masthead. I sure loved the magazine business but I'm also excited for whatever is next for me. More exciting experiences are on their way as we speak.
The nice thing about getting to the airport "just on time" is that your bag comes off first and when you're surrounded (and I mean surrounded) by highschool students you sure feel like it's your lucky day when you get to pick up your bags and get the fuck outta there right away.
I took the shuttle bus downtown to the hotel across the street from my grandparents. On the bus I chatted with an older lady coming home from a Xmas visit in Kamloops. We had a nice chat about how strange little things like physiotherapy can bring people together as friends that wouldn't normally have even met. It was one of those conversations that I like having with people.
I arrived to be greeted by my ever so great grandparents. They really are something and I couldn't be happier that I can still come out for a visit. It is such a treat. Of course we hugged and laughed and I got fed right away. After a brief visit we all got ready for bed and as my grandma closed my door while I started writing this entry I caught a whiff of her hand lotion. Funny how a smell can be forgotten and then when you catch a whiff of it again you are thrown back into all the memories. I have loved the scent of her hand lotion ever since I can remember. It brought back so many memories from when I was so little and I would love going over to Grandma's house just so that I could have some of the lotion that she kept under the sink. We would wash our hands and then both put just a little bit on and then my hands would smell just as amazing as my grandma's hands. It's hard to believe that 30 years later she's still using the same stuff. Perhaps I need to start the same tradition to keep it going. So what's the lotion you ask? Ha! Just Jergens cherry lotion. The perfect smell in so many ways.
Enough of this novel for tonight. You'd think I hadn't written an entry in a year and a half or something?!
Sheesh!


2 Comments:
Sheesh!
sheesh as in you actually make it to the end, or sheesh as in there's no way you'd read that much garbage?
Post a Comment
<< Home