Time to Move On
It was a sad day Sunday when my dad did not break the news gently.
My frog had died. All that was left were some bones. Nice.
I got my frog (which I sometimes called Fred but sometimes not because I wasn't sure if Fred should be his name) when I first started at EDS/SHL. The lady that sold him to me said that he would live for a year to year and a half max. Eight years later he was still kicking around.
"Sometimes Fred" was a cool frog. He did an amazing Michael Jordan impression, had an attitude problem if provoked, and hated fish roommates. Occasionally he chilled out by doing the deadman's float. Guess the other day was kinda a case of "the boy who cried wolf".
At some point in his life he was fortunate enough to move home with Dad. Dad felt very sorry for Frog because he lived in a tiny cube (similar to myself these days, however I do not see him feeling sorry for me). Frog was then graciously given a mansion to live in (I am still living in my apt with no hope of a mansion). From then on I was constantly nagged to clean Frog's mansion. Obviously as with all mansions, it was much harder to clean than a small apartment, especially when Dad started feeding him not just his plain food but all sorts of different types of fancy food. Oh yes, Fred had the life. My position though was that it was not I that had forced the mansion situation. Fred had told me he was happy living the simple life and I was happy to clean it for him. Regardless, my dad's talent is nagging and that he did every time I came over.
So I lit a candle for little Fred/Frog and thought about all the great times we had had.
Then I started thinking about how it was somewhat coincidental that he should pass away around the same time that I left EDS. That era/chapter in my life is officially over. Even though it's sad that Fred left us, it seems somewhat fitting. I'm sure "Sometimes Fred" is onto bigger and better things like myself.
Now normally, most people would end the story here but naturally I thought way too much about this subject (hence the super long blog about a frog) and the other night as I was driving home I thought about how sometimes bad things happen to people that are just getting started in life. Sort of like myself. Technically, now might be the time that I could die. I mean life is like that. Here I am, finally in the industry I've always wanted to be in, stress free, enjoying life and finally able to see the path to my success.
I started thinking about all those obituaries that I don't read that tell the tragic tale of someone taken too soon and usually just when things were starting to go right them. Something similar to this..."Dawne was a brilliant, sexy, and hilarious soul that had finally found her niche in the magazine industry just as she had always dreamed of. She was looking forward to her future and was excited to have finally escaped the hell hole that was EDS. Her family and friends adored her along with every other single human being and animal on the planet. She was infamous for her wonderful, natural smell and cheery disposition. Dawne was the bestest human being and will be sorely missed." Well, something like that anyways.
Anyways, I quickly changed the topic in my head in hopes to avoid an accident and so far so good. I'm still here last I checked.
My frog had died. All that was left were some bones. Nice.
I got my frog (which I sometimes called Fred but sometimes not because I wasn't sure if Fred should be his name) when I first started at EDS/SHL. The lady that sold him to me said that he would live for a year to year and a half max. Eight years later he was still kicking around.
"Sometimes Fred" was a cool frog. He did an amazing Michael Jordan impression, had an attitude problem if provoked, and hated fish roommates. Occasionally he chilled out by doing the deadman's float. Guess the other day was kinda a case of "the boy who cried wolf".
At some point in his life he was fortunate enough to move home with Dad. Dad felt very sorry for Frog because he lived in a tiny cube (similar to myself these days, however I do not see him feeling sorry for me). Frog was then graciously given a mansion to live in (I am still living in my apt with no hope of a mansion). From then on I was constantly nagged to clean Frog's mansion. Obviously as with all mansions, it was much harder to clean than a small apartment, especially when Dad started feeding him not just his plain food but all sorts of different types of fancy food. Oh yes, Fred had the life. My position though was that it was not I that had forced the mansion situation. Fred had told me he was happy living the simple life and I was happy to clean it for him. Regardless, my dad's talent is nagging and that he did every time I came over.
So I lit a candle for little Fred/Frog and thought about all the great times we had had.
Then I started thinking about how it was somewhat coincidental that he should pass away around the same time that I left EDS. That era/chapter in my life is officially over. Even though it's sad that Fred left us, it seems somewhat fitting. I'm sure "Sometimes Fred" is onto bigger and better things like myself.
Now normally, most people would end the story here but naturally I thought way too much about this subject (hence the super long blog about a frog) and the other night as I was driving home I thought about how sometimes bad things happen to people that are just getting started in life. Sort of like myself. Technically, now might be the time that I could die. I mean life is like that. Here I am, finally in the industry I've always wanted to be in, stress free, enjoying life and finally able to see the path to my success.
I started thinking about all those obituaries that I don't read that tell the tragic tale of someone taken too soon and usually just when things were starting to go right them. Something similar to this..."Dawne was a brilliant, sexy, and hilarious soul that had finally found her niche in the magazine industry just as she had always dreamed of. She was looking forward to her future and was excited to have finally escaped the hell hole that was EDS. Her family and friends adored her along with every other single human being and animal on the planet. She was infamous for her wonderful, natural smell and cheery disposition. Dawne was the bestest human being and will be sorely missed." Well, something like that anyways.
Anyways, I quickly changed the topic in my head in hopes to avoid an accident and so far so good. I'm still here last I checked.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home