Just A Typical Sunday
It's summertime here again and it's been gorgeous 30 degree weather lately. Perfect for being poolside and going to BBQs. Today is a BBQ day and so I am making dessert to bring. So I get up early enough for a Sunday and putter, putter, putter until I realize that it is 2:22pm and I haven't yet made it to Safeway to get the rest of the ingredients for my dessert. So off I head to Safeway which is only 3 blocks (if that) away. On the way I pass my building's fountain, very nice, a couple of bums sitting next to it (one seems to be in distress), jaywalk across the street to be on the side with the glorious sun and then come up to a couple of nice old houses that don't quite look their usual self and remember that they are tearing them down so that they can build very expensive, new condos for people that love to spend more money than they make in order to keep up with the Jones' (a long sentence I know). GOD it's so sad. They've chopped down the trees and lilac bushes and torn down the cute dwarf white picket fence. The siding has now been torn off revealing previous paint colours which is neat but still sad. All the windows are boarded up and there's a big PRIVATE PROPERTY, GET LOST sign.I can't tell you how much the whole thing bugs me but I'm sure you can tell since I'm writing about it. The second house is in a similar state and the old apartment building next to it as well. It's so sad to look through the higher up windows that haven't been boarded up to see little details of the old decor or small things left behind by tenants. Why do they insist on tearing down any building that is remotely old here?! It drives me mental. When I was in Halifax it's glory and beauty came from all the old buildings they had, the history, the memories, the presence. Here, anything 20 years old or more gets torn down so that a swell new box like condo can go up. And what's worse is that sometimes they tear down these great old buildings and then can't afford to build the condos so all we're left with is a freakin' dirt lot.
Anyways, I continue on with a sigh and walk past a couple more crazy downtown people to get to Safeway. I get my four ingredients and head back home past the old houses which again make me mad and then jaywalk across the street to get to my side. As I'm walking up to my building I see this older man walking in the crosswalk across the street. Which may seem normal except that the light is red and cars are heading right for him. Whatever, he could care less and he actually turns around and walks back trying to get cars to hit him. No one honks, they just slow down and he seems a bit frustrated. I get to the intersection and he makes his way over to me. He asks me if I need any help (carrying my one light bag of groceries). I tell him no thanks but thanks for asking, smile and head towards my building. Crazy. I dunno. It's always something around here and all the shiny new condos in the world won't change that part.
I guess I titled this blog, "Just A Typical Sunday" because there's usually one trip to Safeway each weekend, and each trip I encounter some sort of human craziness. Last week it was this man holding a banana peel following this woman way too closely. But that's another story which I never posted. Can't wait til next weekend to see what the journey presents.

And I didn't take any photos on today's trip but here's a nice little pic of my pool from my balcony. Perhaps I should be down there instead of up here at my computer!?


2 Comments:
Great post. Brilliant comic timing, as usual, and kind of sad too...all around, a fine long-weekend dose of Dawne.
Thanks Stephen! Sometimes I forget that people even read my insane online nattering.
Post a Comment
<< Home