Up Close & Personal
I love going to live shows and in the past year I've seen quite a few. This weekend I went to see Novillero and The New Pornographers at the new Mac Hall. Novillero was great of course, they are such a high energy band and really nice guys. I've seen them a couple times at Broken City where you are pretty much standing right next to them rocking out. Both times were such a blast!The thing that I realized though is that smaller venues kick so much ass over the larger ones and now that UofC has this new Mac Hall, the concerts just aren't as great. A couple years ago I went to see Broken Social Scene in the old Mac Hall Ballroom and it was one of the most memorable concerts I've ever been to. Truly incredible; musicians, music, audience, ambiance.
I miss those Broken City and Old Mac Hall days. And as much as I like to see Canadian bands "make it", seeing them in the larger venue just doesn't have the same appeal. I mean, don't get me wrong, both bands sounded solid this weekend, I guess I just like it up close and personal.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home