Learning the Ropes
My life can sometimes be pretty funny, albeit it's usually at my own expense...
Sunday night I had arranged to have my first BeatRoute interview with a band at 7pm. The band is pretty popular here in Canada. They're Novillero from Winnipeg. A group of 4 (sometimes 5) members that play this real upbeat kind of rock. Think Ben Folds minus the depressed geek plus some Spoon-like kick assness.
Sunday was quite a busy day for me as usual. I slept in until noonish (very important), got up, tidied a bit and took my 2-week old laundry to my dad's house. By the time I got there I only had 4 hours to do my 6 or 7 loads plus research Novillero and figure out what questions to ask for my article. That meant paying attention to the washer and dryer cycles and actually getting my computer work done instead of relaxing and playing around with Jenny. In record time I got 5 full loads washed and dried, research done, and pretty much all the questions I needed written. The rest of my laundry remains at my dad's even today.
I left my dad's house and was driving by Safeway at 20 to 7 when I thought that might be enough time to run in and get lunch and dinner for tomorrow. I ran in, picked up like 3 or 4 things and ran smack into one huge line up after another. Not quite reluctant enough to give up my food I stood in line and probably checked my watch...oooooohhhhh...20 million times. I almost left but then decided I had waited too long and thought, seriously, how long could a line up take in the EXPRESS lane?! I swear to god the checkout girl was having serious mental hard drive issues and was taking her S U W E E T time. Anyways, I arrived home, parked in the visitor parking, left all my laundry in the car and raced up to the apartment. I quickly set up my recording section and called the guy from Novillero 2 minutes after 7pm.
About 3 questions in my phone starts beeping because the battery is dying. GREAT. SWELL. I told Sean that issue and went to find the other phone. Well the other phone wasn't hooked up anymore (due to the recording device) and for whatever reason I couldn't seem to easily move it to the other phone jack. So I had to face the fact that this was probably now a very embarrassing part in my life I told Sean I had to call him back after I set up the other phone. Two minutes later I called him back and started up the interview again. Midway through his response the phone just dies, no warning, nothing! Just insanely loud static. Oh My God, I was HORRIFIED. I had to rush around, hang up the recording device and then figure out how the hell i was going to call him back and record at the same time. I tested out my third, borrowed and LAST available phone and made sure it worked fine with the recording device. As I was testing it the phone rang and without looking at call display (which is a HUGE no no in my world) I answered it. Here is the conversation word for word. Please keep in mind that by this point I was very stressed out and totally panicking, hence the high pitched voice!
click here for conversation
So here's the story about Patrick...The Wednesday before we went to see "The Dudes" play at The Ship. We ended up sitting with 2 guys that offered to share their table with us. We sat around and chatted and this one guy, Patrick, talked my ear off. Mostly about his drunk ex-wife (you could tell it was recent), his teenage son and other stuff. Well apparently a girl had never been nice to him because he liked me right away. Realizing this I stopped listening to his sob stories and got in on the other conversations at the table. As soon as the Dudes were on, us girls ditched the table and danced the rest of the night in front of the Dudes who are all very cute and sexy. Then as we were leaving Patrick stopped us and said he wanted to get together again (uh, just the two of us). I had no idea what to say. I mean, he was way too old for me, had a son that was in Jr. High, etc. etc, etc. Totally not interested thank you. But how the hell do you say that to this guy that's near suicidal? So I said maybe and took his number and we got the hell out of there!
So then, mid interview I get this call from Patrick who I did not give my number to and I'm expecting the caller to be Sean from Novillero and I'm like, Patrick?! WTF, his name wasn't Patrick, it was Sean! At which point you heard how he explained where we'd met. I was so irked by this. How dare he look up my number!? I was so mad in fact that I nearly called him back later to tell him off. However then I decided that he might be like that dumb and dumber guy and figure that meant he had some sort of chance!
Anyways, the whole thing just keeps getting funnier and funnier the more I think about it. After the shortest conversation in history, I called Sean back and we finished our interview uninterrupted thank god! He was extremely nice about it and found the whole thing rather entertaining (and I didn't even tell him the Patrick part!). Now I must say that I swear to god that both my phones had been charged not that long ago and usually I don't take one off until the other is dead so that I don't run into these problems but as you can see Murphy and I have quite the relationship going.
So, there you have it, my first band interview experience. It was Swell. I'll never forget it (well I say that now but we all know my memory).
Sunday night I had arranged to have my first BeatRoute interview with a band at 7pm. The band is pretty popular here in Canada. They're Novillero from Winnipeg. A group of 4 (sometimes 5) members that play this real upbeat kind of rock. Think Ben Folds minus the depressed geek plus some Spoon-like kick assness.
Sunday was quite a busy day for me as usual. I slept in until noonish (very important), got up, tidied a bit and took my 2-week old laundry to my dad's house. By the time I got there I only had 4 hours to do my 6 or 7 loads plus research Novillero and figure out what questions to ask for my article. That meant paying attention to the washer and dryer cycles and actually getting my computer work done instead of relaxing and playing around with Jenny. In record time I got 5 full loads washed and dried, research done, and pretty much all the questions I needed written. The rest of my laundry remains at my dad's even today.
I left my dad's house and was driving by Safeway at 20 to 7 when I thought that might be enough time to run in and get lunch and dinner for tomorrow. I ran in, picked up like 3 or 4 things and ran smack into one huge line up after another. Not quite reluctant enough to give up my food I stood in line and probably checked my watch...oooooohhhhh...20 million times. I almost left but then decided I had waited too long and thought, seriously, how long could a line up take in the EXPRESS lane?! I swear to god the checkout girl was having serious mental hard drive issues and was taking her S U W E E T time. Anyways, I arrived home, parked in the visitor parking, left all my laundry in the car and raced up to the apartment. I quickly set up my recording section and called the guy from Novillero 2 minutes after 7pm.
About 3 questions in my phone starts beeping because the battery is dying. GREAT. SWELL. I told Sean that issue and went to find the other phone. Well the other phone wasn't hooked up anymore (due to the recording device) and for whatever reason I couldn't seem to easily move it to the other phone jack. So I had to face the fact that this was probably now a very embarrassing part in my life I told Sean I had to call him back after I set up the other phone. Two minutes later I called him back and started up the interview again. Midway through his response the phone just dies, no warning, nothing! Just insanely loud static. Oh My God, I was HORRIFIED. I had to rush around, hang up the recording device and then figure out how the hell i was going to call him back and record at the same time. I tested out my third, borrowed and LAST available phone and made sure it worked fine with the recording device. As I was testing it the phone rang and without looking at call display (which is a HUGE no no in my world) I answered it. Here is the conversation word for word. Please keep in mind that by this point I was very stressed out and totally panicking, hence the high pitched voice!
click here for conversation
So here's the story about Patrick...The Wednesday before we went to see "The Dudes" play at The Ship. We ended up sitting with 2 guys that offered to share their table with us. We sat around and chatted and this one guy, Patrick, talked my ear off. Mostly about his drunk ex-wife (you could tell it was recent), his teenage son and other stuff. Well apparently a girl had never been nice to him because he liked me right away. Realizing this I stopped listening to his sob stories and got in on the other conversations at the table. As soon as the Dudes were on, us girls ditched the table and danced the rest of the night in front of the Dudes who are all very cute and sexy. Then as we were leaving Patrick stopped us and said he wanted to get together again (uh, just the two of us). I had no idea what to say. I mean, he was way too old for me, had a son that was in Jr. High, etc. etc, etc. Totally not interested thank you. But how the hell do you say that to this guy that's near suicidal? So I said maybe and took his number and we got the hell out of there!
So then, mid interview I get this call from Patrick who I did not give my number to and I'm expecting the caller to be Sean from Novillero and I'm like, Patrick?! WTF, his name wasn't Patrick, it was Sean! At which point you heard how he explained where we'd met. I was so irked by this. How dare he look up my number!? I was so mad in fact that I nearly called him back later to tell him off. However then I decided that he might be like that dumb and dumber guy and figure that meant he had some sort of chance!
Anyways, the whole thing just keeps getting funnier and funnier the more I think about it. After the shortest conversation in history, I called Sean back and we finished our interview uninterrupted thank god! He was extremely nice about it and found the whole thing rather entertaining (and I didn't even tell him the Patrick part!). Now I must say that I swear to god that both my phones had been charged not that long ago and usually I don't take one off until the other is dead so that I don't run into these problems but as you can see Murphy and I have quite the relationship going.
So, there you have it, my first band interview experience. It was Swell. I'll never forget it (well I say that now but we all know my memory).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home