So The Time has come
The day that I never wanted to dawn finally came the other day at work.
You know, the day when someone suggests that in order to get ahead in life you must give up bits and pieces of your personality...or should I say chunks and gouges?
I could never figure out why adults have to lose themselves and all of their fun idiosyncrasies just to be grown ups. I always told myself I'd never be like that. There's no reason to "grow up"; to lose your spark, your sense of humour, or your sense of fun.
But there I was, sitting in my boss' office so frustrated when I realized that someone else had misinterpreted me. They had judged me before they knew me and now I had my boss saying that "in order to get ahead in this world, it's best to be guarded and serious". All I kept thinking about was, "why do I have to lose my personality to get ahead in this world?" "Would I really conform and end up a regular, boring grown up?" I just can't describe the feelings swirling around in me as I left his office to go sit at my grey desk, with my grey computer, with my grey, annoying phone, with my extra large grey walls. And what kills me, is that for a second, I wondered if I had to give me up! And it kills me more that I might even consider it next time when dealing with people at work. And what for? To not stir the waters with anyone I talk to?
I don't know. It just makes me mad that there should even be a day like that and that it should have to power to take over so many people. I just hope I'm not one of them. Let me know, will ya? Anyways, enough ranting.
You know, the day when someone suggests that in order to get ahead in life you must give up bits and pieces of your personality...or should I say chunks and gouges?
I could never figure out why adults have to lose themselves and all of their fun idiosyncrasies just to be grown ups. I always told myself I'd never be like that. There's no reason to "grow up"; to lose your spark, your sense of humour, or your sense of fun.
But there I was, sitting in my boss' office so frustrated when I realized that someone else had misinterpreted me. They had judged me before they knew me and now I had my boss saying that "in order to get ahead in this world, it's best to be guarded and serious". All I kept thinking about was, "why do I have to lose my personality to get ahead in this world?" "Would I really conform and end up a regular, boring grown up?" I just can't describe the feelings swirling around in me as I left his office to go sit at my grey desk, with my grey computer, with my grey, annoying phone, with my extra large grey walls. And what kills me, is that for a second, I wondered if I had to give me up! And it kills me more that I might even consider it next time when dealing with people at work. And what for? To not stir the waters with anyone I talk to?
I don't know. It just makes me mad that there should even be a day like that and that it should have to power to take over so many people. I just hope I'm not one of them. Let me know, will ya? Anyways, enough ranting.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home